Thursday, December 20, 2007

The reason...

I know there are other blog posts out there for families with gluten free needs but I decided to start my own blog to keep track of the places we've visited to share our experiences with others. I'll try to keep it up to date but we may not get back to some places so I can't promise that a certain restaurant will still be helpful or horrible but I feel compelled to share our good experiences and and those that aren't so good...

Over the years that my wife and I have been travelling we have visited some great restaurants who have gone out of their way to assist us. Sad to say we have also had our share of "I'm too busy to ask the kitchen..." waiters who appear to be too overworked to care about their customers. I hope to share on this site those places that really care about their customers and give them the praise they deserve. Those that don't seem to care about the needs of their customers; well I wish them all the best, I just don't want other families to have to go through a bad experience if they can avoid it, so we'll list those restaurants too.

Now for a little history. As a child I had a bunch of food allergies. Nothing really serious but nonetheless my parents worked hard to keep me away from what I was allergic to. Fortunately, as an adult I have very few allergies and can eat almost anything (except beets... and I don't like beets so this has worked to my benefit).

My wife has celiac disease, so does her sister and her nephew. I have learned that this is totally different from the food allergies I had as a kid. For those of you who have celiac or have someone in your family who has this disease you know all about it. For everyone else you can learn about the disease at: http://www.celiac.org/

My wife and I love to travel and it can be a challenge to find places who are truly considerate of a gluten free diet as we navigate new locations, cultures and foods. It's not that people aren't mostly willing to accommodate her needs its just that some places do better than others; and yes there are those few who just don't seem to care.

Over time I will be adding to this site restaurant reviews; with an eye to identifying those restaurants who create great food and provide a true Gluten Free (GF) experience. Since I'm not a food critic I'm not sure how useful my culinary opinion will be but I can tell you if the staff was helpful, if they have a gluten free menu, if in the end we enjoyed a truly GF experience.

I hope you find our postings useful and that our experiences can help you enjoy your travels a bit more.

No comments: