Sunday, December 23, 2007

Seawatch - Wailea, Maui


Rating:

In Brief: My wife's sister got 'glutened' at this restaurant just a week before we visited so we were extra cautious and chose not to order off of the menu. I am giving this restaurant four stars because they did give us an excellent GF meal and they made it look easy. However, I'm not sure what the experience would have been if we had ordered off of the menu so - be careful and explain what your dietary needs.

The Seawatch is in a beautiful setting and has a very good seafood menu. Our waitress was very accommodating and attentive to the GF dietary requirements that my wife and I shared with her. Using her GF dietary warning card, my wife explained her diet and the issue of cross-contamination. The waitress took the card to the kitchen and returned assuring us that they could accommodate her needs.

Since my wife's sister had been 'glutened' the prior week at this same restaurant we decided to ask for Mahi-mahi in a pan with plain white rice. The kitchen staff was more than happy to meet her request. The fish did come seasoned (which worried me... I offered to play the 'bad guy' and have them re-do the meal... my wife decided to risk it and eat it anyway - she hates to cause a scene. :) ) to our delight there was no gluten in the seasoning; the kitchen assured us that they wouldn't use an 'off the self' seasoning and it appears they didn't!

As far as dessert goes... to be fair we didn't ask since my wife and I were stuffed and figured we just wouldn't risk it since there was nothing on the menu (short of fruit) that was clearly GF.
To wrap this up we received a good GF meal but we were extra careful due to previous reports we'd heard about this restaurant.

No comments: